Lucy's Revenge is a project in memory of Lucy Plunkett to raise funds for Alzheimer's research and support services while showcasing Mississippi's waterways. All donations go directly to the Mississippi Chapter of the Alzheimer's Association.

Announcements

The Longest Day is June 20! We'll be putting in 50 miles in one day on the Pearl River.

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Mississippi Kayaker Plans 16-Hour Endurance Paddle on Pearl River to Raise Money for Alzheimer’s Research on June 20

Lucy’s Revenge: The Alzheimer’s Paddling Project set to begin promoting additional fundraising opportunities and events across Mississippi.

June 7, 2012. Jackson, MS.—Keith Plunkett began kayaking in 2009 and quickly developed a love of the sport that some would likely say borders on obsession. Since then, he has become an ambassador for the sport in the Magnolia State, paddling rivers across Mississippi and in adjoining states on trips many might find out of the realm of their abilities. But, Plunkett says that it’s not as difficult as some people think.

“I think people hear of me paddling 30, 50 or 100 miles in a kayak and think ‘I could never do that’,” said Plunkett. “But, part of the reason our state is the fattest and most unhealthy region in the country is that we refuse to push the limits of our abilities. We can do much more than we give ourselves credit for, mentally and physically. Most just choose not to believe in themselves enough. We have a crisis of confidence in this state.”

Plunkett began a project in 2010 called Lucy’s Revenge. Through the project he paddled 500 miles and raised $10,000 for the Mississippi Alzheimer’s Association. The project is named in memory of his late grandmother, Lucy Plunkett, who died in 1993 after battling the disease. As a result of his involvement, he now promotes the Alzheimer’s Association programs as Development Director.

“Everything I have accomplished in my life extends from the lessons I learned from my Mamaw,” he said. “Either as a result of the character passed down through my parents, or of seeing her live a life committed to serving others. I want everybody to share in that, because giving a helping hand really is its own reward.”

Plunkett’s latest incarnation of the Lucy’s Revenge project will take him 50 miles in a 16-hour day down the Pearl River for the Alzheimer’s Association’s The Longest Day on June 20. His trip will begin at dawn from a launch around Highway 25 in Leake County, and will end at sunset at Madison Landing on the Ross Barnett Reservoir.

“I have traveled long stretches of up to a hundred miles over the course of a few days, but never this much in a single day,” he says. “This will be a challenge for me. I’m very excited about it. If I don’t have new adventures and challenges on the drawing board I get emotionally numb.”

Plunkett is also considering several other projects, including a history of Mississippi waterways and how they helped the state develop, promoting Lucy’s Revenge kayak races across the state, and an educational project to promote the teaching of Mississippi waterway ecosystems to students. This is all in addition to his work developing relationships across the state to help defeat Alzheimer’s disease.

“I don’t know any other way to live than to do it fully,” says Plunkett. “That’s the example that was set for me, and that’s what God has put in me. I have to share it.”

To give to the Lucy’s Revenge Team for The Longest Day go to:  THIS LINK

No comments:

Post a Comment